It seems like the COVID – 19 virus has unfortunately and unexpectedly imposed a “new era” upon us. We gave up on our social lives and left many of our daily habits in the past. Nevertheless, feelings of uncertainty, fear, and anxiety can have a devastating effect on our immune systems.
Still, we hear about it on the news almost on a daily basis; keeping our immune systems super healthy and working properly has never been more important!
Here are some crucial tips in order for you to support your own body’s natural defense system:
- Proper nutrition
When we mention proper nutrition, we are thinking of consuming plenty of super-foods, vitamins, minerals and supplements (if necessary), into your daily diet.
Some of the vitamins that you have to take daily are:
- Vitamin C – Squeeze at least 1 lemon per day and if it’s possible, buy a supplement of 1000mg, it will do wonders and you will notice a difference. Fresh fruits and veggies such as broccoli, kiwi, red and green peppers, strawberries, and all citrus fruits also have it in abundance.
- Vitamin E – It is crucial in maintaining a healthy immune system and it’s a powerful antioxidant. You can find it in almonds, sunflower seeds, hazelnuts, peanut butter.
- Zinc – It is an essential mineral involved in the production of certain immune cells. Top food sources of zinc are baked beans, oysters, chickpeas, cashews.
- Carotenoids – When consumed, carotenoids are converted into vitamin A (a nutrient that helps regulate the immune system). Look for these foods: carrots, spinach, mango, papaya, kale, apricots.
- Detoxify and Alkalize
This is also a key point, as when the body is alkaline and toxin-free, it doesn’t support the development of any type of disease. This means that if you do get infected with a virus or bacteria, you are most likely to get through it with minimal or no consequences at all.
Add these to your shopping list: berries, all leafy green vegetables, green tea, apples, tomatoes, oily fish and most importantly, plenty of garlic (eat it raw).
Keep your serotonin and endorphin levels high, this is imperative when facing a quarantine lockdown. This way you will reduce to a minimum your mood swings, hormonal imbalance, and unwanted feelings such as anxiety, depression, fear, and lack of security.
- Cut down on alcohol and cigarettes
Boredom and anxiety can lead to overconsumption of alcohol, cigarettes, and food. Try to be as mindful as possible when it comes to vices! Not to mention that a weakened immune system, obesity, and already damaged lung cells are something that you definitely don’t need when it comes to COVID – 19.
Instead, if you are locked with your family and friends, play card games, make a costume party, a pajama party, a marathon movie night, karaoke night, play twister, monopoly, and a variety of other board games.
If you are locked by yourself, it is now the VERY MOMENT for you to begin learning that foreign language you’ve always wanted to speak, to work out, to read, to learn a new skill etc. Come out a as a better version of yourself and as a winner!
Mindful breathing is an extremely powerful technique and it should never be underestimated. There are many breathing techniques. Nonetheless, practicing deep abdominal breathing for 5 min. several times a day will make the world of a difference. Try it now.